September 25, 2010

Edmonton Day One

Now that I found a place with decent wireless (Thanks Healthfare!) I can post evidence of my travels.

It began with me missing my flight, of course. I've flown maybe 3 times in my life, and apparently never got the memo that when they say a flight departs at 10:02am, they mean 9:47. Rather, the flight sits there for 15 minutes while you watch it, unable to get on because they close the doors early. To nurse my sorrows, I ordered some mildly edible airport food.
Fake 1950's cuisine since 1986. Now available in Qatar! 
This was my plane, which I had to board from the ground (?), further illustrating that I was headed to a strange place. That place is called Canada by the locals.
Hop on board, eh?
I arrived, passed through customs, and realized that I had spent my entire trip-planning phase assuming I could use my iPhone to navigate. Wrong, wrong wrong. Data roaming costs $40 a megabyte. Without access to google, email, or a single useful phone number, I had to find a hotel who's name I had forgotten. My taxi driver was mercifully tolerant.

I resorted to asking strangers for directions. I managed to get 1) from the airport, 2) to the film festival production offices to pick up my badge:
My ticket to fancy parties
3) from one side of Edmonton to the other (about 4 or 5 miles- ahem, 8 kilometers) via this insanely beautiful river valley:
Edmonton has the largest park of any city in the world...
...yet all anyone knows about this place is the "big mall."
4) and then over to the hotel, where I have an extra bed for some reason.
Not pictured: full stove, full fridge, microwave, tea kettle, pots and pans, strainer. WTF?
It only took 6 hours.

I then watched the opening night film (Score! A Hockey Musical), which was actually really awesome despite the film's terrible poster art. It was kind of like Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog, but with Hockey. It was also really, really Canadian, but in a charming way.

Following that I got incredibly drunk on Malbec at the opening night gala, stumbled back to my hotel room, and slept for 12 hours. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment